Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Riding the Ferry Across to Victoria

Named the MV Coho, this ferry crosses the Straight of Juan de Fuca from Port Angeles, WA to Victoria, BC 3 times a day...the 50 year old ferry is full....capacity is 110 vehicles and 1000 passengers...they packed us in like sardines...I could not open my drivers door....The one and a half hour journey passes very quickly...saw dolphins and lots of birds...no Orcas as they tell me they are on the east side of the island feeding on salmon there. There is a coffee shop and little cafe inside as well as a little store and lots of different types of seating...I chose a sunny place on top. Leaving the Olympic Peninsula and the United States behind as well as the foggy weather.....there is some sunshine to the North!!My first view of Vancouver Island!

Coming into the harbor. There are many boats and seaplanes...a couple lone brave kayakers.....very busy port!
My last snapshot before I had to return to vehicle below deck to prepare for debarking and customs. Those of us that had vehicles drove them to a line forming on the dock..... about 30 minutes before I drove up to a little kiosk where the woman asked me where I lived?,how long I would be in Canada? (ugh...dunno)...I said 6 weeks.....I didn't have to fill out any paperwork....ie..no visa...I think she did scan my passport, but did not stamp it....(I think you are allowed to stay here for 6 months and I guess they electronically recorded when I entered the country???) All her other questions had to do with what I was bringing....she asked me about weapons like 3 times...also about mace, pepper spray or bear spray....(I was going to lie about the bear spray as I had paid $50 for the canister and did NOT want to give it up)...but then I admitted to having the bear spray....she said that was OK that I could have it...but then continued to question me about it...how big was the canister?...where did I buy it?,(Yellowstone).....from a store or an individual? etc...wierd..I guess they consider the little self protection pepper sprays weapons??? She then asked to look inside the van and asked what was in my icechest....ICE...then she let me go.....AHH....I was in CANADA!!!

No comments: