I just had to make this visit...as sooo many people have told me about it....and I am glad I did....it really is amazing.....this 55 acre garden used to be a rock quarry....Mrs. Butchart, the wife of the owner and Cement manufacturer, had a vision and made it happen beginning in 1902. Now it is a national historical treasure that employs like 500 people. There were lots of people and I thought from a distance they looked like flowers too.
An old photo of what it looked like before....rock beds were put in and then soils from adjoining farms was brought in.
One of the few remaining remnants of the old quarry is the smoke stack in the background. I loved this natural mechanical device that would scare off the boars....the bamboo would fill with water and get so heavy and when it dumped out it would hit the rock in the water and make a loud sound....
The fountain created by Mrs. Butchart's grandson in 1968 is just amazing also,...it changes forms continuously.
No comments:
Post a Comment