Sunday, August 9, 2009

Olympic Hot Springs

I have decided to take in some of the Olympic National Park since the weather is cloudy, rainy and cool...well it's cold to me.....as I want to wait to cross the ferry into Canada when the weather is clear and warmer so I can see where we are going...and have a nice sunny day in Victoria! And besides I paid $80 for that Annual Pass to get me into all the National Parks and Monuments. I started by hiking up to the Olympic Hot Springs....about a 2.5 mile hike one way....there were about 10 little pools, only one had people in it, so I continued to find the one at the top with very hot water, it was shallow and reeked of sulphur smell but I loved it! The hike was beautiful along a mostly paved trail as there used to be a resort up here until the road got washed out and other natural disasters.The trail crossed the Elwa River which used to be a premier salmon river, but was dammed in the early 1900's which put an abrupt end to that which fed the local Native Americans...now there is a major movement to remove the 2 dams and try to restore this river to its natural state.

No comments: