Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Free Camping near Zion
There is a really nice Free campsite about 5 miles west of Zion at mile marker 24....it's good too because the Park campgrounds are Full, crowded and expensive! This place is on BLM land right on the Virgin River...the locals call it Sandy Flats or Mosquito Flats...I haven't seen any mosquitoes..but there were some flies today.....It's a cottonwood bottom on a large sand bar.....I am very careful where I park as the sand is super soft.
I am literally about 10 feet from the bank....AND I get cell phone and Internet reception!!! It sure makes updating the Blog a lot more fun when I can do it with the sound of a rushing river and a view of red cliffs in the not too far distance.
The campground is large and mostly empty during the day with a few campers coming in the evening..........several horse trailers stopped here last night.
I think I will head south tomorrow....the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only a few hours away....depends on the weather....I may just go on to Sedona, Arizona where my brother lives as the Full Moon drum session will be happening this weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment