Saturday, September 5, 2009

Grinnell Glacier

The only way to see this glacier is to hike in....5.5 miles one way with an elevation gain of 1600 ft. !! As you can see from this information board, the glacier is melting causing huge chunks of ice to sluff off into the water....becoming icebergs.

A fairly strenuous hike...took about 7 hours...but I have to say it is the best hike I did here in Glacier National Park...maybe the best one of ALL my hikes so far....(the runner up is the one in Canada on Parker's Ridge)

Bear grass....though I did not see a bear, one of the park ranger's I passed had just come across one taking a bath in one of the lakes I hiked around. The icebergs floated around in the lake, changing positions as the wind blew them around.


Waterfalls coming off the glacier. Sooo much water...it's amazing they are not melting faster!
Looking back to where I started...on the far end of the far lake!!

No comments: