Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Mesa Verde National Park in New Mexico

My first National Park experience of this trip......Wow what a place to begin!! The park is huge.....once inside you drive for miles to get around. The cliff dwellings were just breathtaking....built around 1250 AD by the Pueblo Indians, these particular ones built in less than 100 years and then abandoned..???...noone sure why...but the Puebloans moved on.....leaving these quite amazing structures (well preserved by our National Park system).

One has to take a guided tour to see some of the sites, but then you can hike around on your own to see some beautiful country. And since I am alone now, most of the photos of me will be timed exposures....I have to laugh at myself sometimes!
A Petroglyph carved into the rock.

The scars of fire.....
and the beautiful recovery in the midst of it all.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they abandoned this place because it would be an absolutely rotten place to try to raise a kid. I expended several years worth of energy just trying to keep my urchins from falling off something and killing themselves...must have been hell trying to do that full-time.
gvr

Cynthia Castle said...

Yep I heard that comment from a few people at the site....living on the edge...ahhhhh.....something to be said for that too!!