Saturday, October 23, 2010

Yosemite continued

The Merced River...I thought this was about the most artistic design I have seen for indicating the levels of river flood waters....Also a reminder of how this seemingly peaceful valley can become a raging torrent. I saw a Bobcat from one of the hiking trails!!...it was on the prowl...I videoed the entire thing of him catching a squirrel...if I get time I will learn how to post to Youtube and embed the link...another technology step I have not mastered. At one time there were as many as 20 hotels in the valley..but either flood or fire destroyed most of them. The 1925 Ahwahnee Lodge offers all the luxuries for the affluent traveler. I slept in my van in the parking lot!
Really I did not have an option...there is a 7 month reservation wait for any type of sleeping accommodation in Yosemite Valley...hotel or camping! 4 million visitors a year!

1 comment:

Baba Rebop said...

holy cows, great shots, #3 was used as the overlook hotel lobby in "the shining." Stephen King was here @ Mohonk this week. Happy Halloween !!!