Saturday, October 9, 2010

Salmon Industry- Fish Ladders

The Columbia has always been a great fishing place for Salmon. With the construction of Dams (to tame the river and provide hydroelectricity), fish ladders had to be put in place so the Salmon could swim upriver to their spawning grounds. Here is a fish ladder at Cascade Locks...the water is then funneled through a small area so they can be counted.
There is a person who sits and visually counts every fish that swims through, denoting the species and entering the information in a computerized database. The data is used to calculate the amount of salmon and the numbers needed to release the raised fingerlings.

The local Indians are allowed to catch and sell Salmon, being their principal source of income. I purchased a Cojo Salmon and Royal was nice enough to filet it. When I told him I used to farm crawfish, he said they catch large crawfish in their nets and offered to save them the next day, but it was pouring rain and I did not return.

1 comment:

Gennaro said...

Great pics CC. Mmmm, that Pacific Salmon !!!! Atlantic Salmon.....not nearly as good. Thanks for sharing your trip...... :)