
The Hubbell Trading Post, a few miles south of Canyon de Chelly in Arizona, has served as a direct link between Native and non-Native Americans since 1876. John Lorenzo Hubbell (distant cousin to Edwin Hubbell the astronomer whom the Space Telescope was named after) learned the language and ways of the Navajo people in his travels in the southwest. He was also known for his honesty and hospitality as many people stayed at the trading post.


Today it still operates as a trading post...there are stacks of Navajo wool rugs with the picture of the weaver attached....the cheapest one I saw was over $300.......there are everyday staples as well....

I purchased a metal bucket that I have wanted several times on my trip to heat water over a fire.

In the Visitor Center there was a Navajo woman weaving a rug that she has been working on for 5 weeks now....weaving 8 hours a day she has the geometric design in her head.
No comments:
Post a Comment