Friday, October 16, 2009
Canyon de Chelly (pronounced D'Shay)
This majestic rock canyon is located in the Navajo Reservation in northeast Arizona......it is the only National Park that I have been to that has Native American Indians living in the Park....they are still farming on the canyon floor and raising sheep! The many cliff dwellings were built by the Ancient Puebloans before the Navajo's arrived but they are very well preserved and there are LOTs of them. 
Petroglyphs are also abundant. This one is called Antelope something.....
You can only hike down to one site in the canyon, otherwise you have to have a Navajo guide to accompany you...whether it is a hike or in your 4 wheel drive or theirs....I inquired about a hiking guide and it costs $20 per hour......needless to say I hiked the one free trail to the bottom and back. The rest of it is free to drive around the rim and look over at designated overlooks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment