I had the opportunity to use my beekeeping skills when I was asked to relocate some bees that had taken up residence in a cardboard beercase on the ground. It had been covered with a table to keep from deteriorating from all the rain we have had. After consulting with key members of our local beekeeping society, we decided it best to put the entire honeycomb filled box, into an empty hive box with another hivebox on top with frames that the bees can build on. There was concern that the bees were "africanized" (as building on the ground is one of their characteristics), so I put on my full regalia beesuit. Turned out they were as docile as could be...I think waiting until almost dark when they were tired and glad to be home for the night helped!
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Moving Bees
I had the opportunity to use my beekeeping skills when I was asked to relocate some bees that had taken up residence in a cardboard beercase on the ground. It had been covered with a table to keep from deteriorating from all the rain we have had. After consulting with key members of our local beekeeping society, we decided it best to put the entire honeycomb filled box, into an empty hive box with another hivebox on top with frames that the bees can build on. There was concern that the bees were "africanized" (as building on the ground is one of their characteristics), so I put on my full regalia beesuit. Turned out they were as docile as could be...I think waiting until almost dark when they were tired and glad to be home for the night helped!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment