Saturday, July 28, 2007

EkBalam (Black Jaguar in Maya)

These Mayan ruins are so incredible! Probably one of the most powerful cities of its time....built around 100 BC. I climbed to the top of the highest ruin where you can see for miles!! The climb down is very steep and best to descend at an angle.




Part of the fascade has been preserved and one can just imagine what it must have looked like with all the intricate plasterwork...which makes this ruin different as most structures were decorated with carved stone. Also it was painted with brilliant colors which has sinced deteriorated. Another unique feature of this temple is the "winged Mayan" seen coming out of the wall.......these people were known as being special.

1 comment:

Renee' said...

Looks like you had a lot more exciting day on my b-day than I had! So was your b-day.

I do have six grandkids, now, though. Bobby's baby was born 7-7-07, weighing in at 5 pounds, 10 oz. She gorgeous, of course. Long, thick black hair and sweet tiny face. She definitely is quite outspoken!

Love and a late happy b-day,

Renee'