Thursday, February 26, 2009

Organic Farming

Today I visited the organic farm of Christine Van Dom near Valle de Bravo, in the mountains
about 3 hours west of Mexico City. What a beautiful place!! Her idea is to grow enough food for 50 families. She currently sells to a few local people but mostly takes it to Mexico City as the vegetables are more expensive than the locals are used to paying.
I was impressed by the low technology of her design...the raised beds covered with a mesh netting low to the ground. She employs 8 people. One person all he does is water, as everything is hand watered, the source being a spring about a mile away. Her seeds come from the U.S.
It felt really good to be here and now I am thoroughly inspired to go back to the family ranch and start growing food for people!!!


No comments: