Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fandango in Catemaco

We have returned to the state of Veracruz...I love that we are revisiting areas we were in just 2 weeks ago...seeing friends we made.....something about returning so soon solidifies the experience!!! As soon as we arrived in San Andres Tuxtla we were rushed out to the nearby town of Catemaco for another Fandango (Dance) of the Jaraneros. I didn't blog about it when we were here 2 weeks ago because my photos weren't very good as my flash has quit working, but I just have to document this regardless.

Recently the young jaranero musicians started meeting in the park every Saturday night to play, sing and dance as was the custom a long time ago. We noticed that 2 weeks ago it was mostly young people playing the jaranas and dancing but this time the old timers were joining in ....I have a feeling I am here to witness the seed of what will become a very popular event here in Catemaco.A fandango consists of the jaraneros all standing around a wooden platform as they play their little guitars and sing, improvising as they see fit, while usually a couple dances on the platform, with very strong footwork and hardly moving the upper body...it is fascinating to watch.



No comments: