Monday, February 18, 2008

Found Sea Turtle

Today I found a small sea turtle on the beach that was dead but still very fresh. Pobrecita! I was eager to identify what kind it was as there are several kinds here. This is a Green Sea Turtle (named that because of the green fat). Other signs of identity are the arrangement of the plates on the back.
Anyways decided to save the shell and so that required a dissection. Flor de Maria, trained in marine biology, performed the dissection while I did things like dispose of the entrails and keep the water clean.....no we didn't dump it in the pool....and I won't post the photos of the organs but it was very interesting....they have lungs and must come to the surface to breathe. Green turtles are carnivorous for their first year then are herbivorous.
First we drew the turtle in complete detail...and to scale...what a great way to learn! Now the shell is drying in the sun upside down with the help of a dusting of lye to speed up the process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, was the soup good??

Cynthia Castle said...

HA! Only a fellow cajun would ask me that! After careful inspection honestly there is hardly any meat, its all organs and fat.