Monday, November 26, 2007

Life in the Sea!


I just love that I can swim everyday in the warm and beautiful Caribbean Sea!! The reason I came to this area long ago was for this body of water. There is a barrier reef that parallels the shore about a half mile out, for the entire length of the Yucatan Peninsula and continues to Central America. The area between the reef and the shore here in Puerto Morelos has been designated a National Marine Park
...therefore not only am I fortunate to swim everday but also to swim in a park is amazing!! This is the Google Earth image of this place, I have marked the path I swim from the dock and back, paralelling the shore as it's too dangerous to swim out to the reef in case a passing boat does not see you. It's one kilometer exactly (.62 miles)....which is nothing compared to my dentist who swims from Cancun to Isla Mujeres (12 kilometers) a couple times a year....maybe that is my goal??!
I swim with a mask and snorkel so I can see all the amazing sea life...these are some of the creatures I saw today. Stingray
The Baracuda live under the dock...despite their reputation, they don't bother humans, they are only curious so sometimes they follow at a distance...though I have to admit I don't swim with any shiny jewelry.

No comments: