I have always wanted to go to Copper Canyon,which I have heard is 4 times bigger than the Grand Canyon! The opportunity arose so why the heck not! Its only another 12 hours from Big Bend.....so off to Mexico again...good thing I brought my passport.
We entered at Presidio/Ojinaga where you get your 180 day visa for $28 and the car permit for $32 US. No insurance required in Mexico. After having a bit of car trouble in the town of Aldama, outside of Chihuahua, and spending the night because the alternator went out and there were no lights to drive by we finally arrived in the lumber village of Creel.
Creel is known as the jumping off point for adventures into the Copper Canyon. We stayed at the travelers hotel "Margarita's Casa de Huespedes". Nice comfortable rooms for 300 pesos ($30) including family style dinner and breakfast for two. A great way to meet other travelers from all over the world as you sit and have dinner together! Creel was windy and cold at 2330 meters altitude (7644 feet). Most people arrive here by the infamous train (which I end up taking on my way out later).
No comments:
Post a Comment