These giant prehistoric OYSTER fossils are abundant in a gravel deposit on the San Marcos River where I swim. They once lived in the shallow seas of Central Texas (during the Cretaceous Period) over 65 million years ago!! The left valve is large and swirlish, the right valve (middle in photo) is flattish and much smaller. Wow…..imagine the dinosaurs sitting on the beach plucking these oysters out of the sea and eating the delicate, succulent mollusks inside to his hearts content…I wonder if they had aphrodisiac qualities back then??….can you imagine that?! HA!
Thursday, September 6, 2007
Exogyra ponderosa
These giant prehistoric OYSTER fossils are abundant in a gravel deposit on the San Marcos River where I swim. They once lived in the shallow seas of Central Texas (during the Cretaceous Period) over 65 million years ago!! The left valve is large and swirlish, the right valve (middle in photo) is flattish and much smaller. Wow…..imagine the dinosaurs sitting on the beach plucking these oysters out of the sea and eating the delicate, succulent mollusks inside to his hearts content…I wonder if they had aphrodisiac qualities back then??….can you imagine that?! HA!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment