Monday, October 6, 2008

Planting Oats

This one is for my sister Pam as she just learned to drive a tractor at her place in Louisiana!I rallied to the call for help to plant oats on the family ranch this week...there is a 30% chance of rain on Monday.....we sooo desperately need rain!! Normally the procedure is to plow the ground, scatter the seed and then come back with a spreader to cover it up....however with the price of diesel about 60 cents higher than gasoline, we took another route....scatter the seed with a pick-up truck, then plow it in and drag some spreader bars behind the plow...

now really it wasn't that hard, air conditioning and XM radio make it very tolerable...I plowed a 99 acre field and a 30 acre field over 3 days...its just a lot of going round and round....clutch, gears, throttle, hydrolic lift, and your off...watch the gauges, lift the plow for the turns or you can break a blade......the dust was the worst part....not bad if the wind was against you but once you turn into the wind...you could barely see where to go.....the most fun was watching all the birds fly around as there were lots of insects coming out of the grass and sunflowers....lots of dove too, but I didn't tell my hunter friends! The cows were all lying down under the pecan trees...that is a sure sign of rain say the oldtimers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought bib overalls was the uniform of the day...what's with the sundress thing??? Still being the rebel :)
gvr