Friday, July 18, 2008

Whale Shark Conference


We arrived just in time to unload our gear and be present for the opening presentation at 10 AM...we were volunteering our services to film the entire 6 day conference. I learned a lot about filming as I was asked by the park director to film using his DV Cam. What an incredible Conference…..196 people, from 21 countries…..scientists, tour operators, divers, fishermen, documentarians, artists, reporters ….a bunch of interesting people! Here are a few of us.

I also learned a LOT about the biggest fish in the sea, though there are still many mysteries…..what are their migratory patterns? where do they go to breed? to have their young? why do they dive so deep? Only recently, thanks to satellite tagging and data tagging have scientists discovered that they quickly dive as far as 9000 feet, but why?…some scientists were trying to correlate the movements with the lunar cycle…..still lots to learn! The next conference could be in India, Kenya, Philippines or U.S……

No comments: