Chaya is a bushy perennial that can grow up to 20 feet (six meters) in height. I have propagated it by just putting a branch in the ground, which is the best and easiest way to grow Chaya. I know I was supposed to plant a tree for that plane trip across the Gulf but I think this is better as studies have shown that higher yields of greens could be obtained with Chaya than any other vegetable they had studied.
Friday, July 4, 2008
Chaya
Chaya, also called “tree spinach” grows right next to my palapa. It is my main dietary source of a leafy vegetable…it tastes something like spinach when cooked and is exceptionally high in protein, Vitamin A, C and minerals such as calcium and iron.
Usually I simply sauté the leaves in a cast iron skillet (good way to get my daily requirement for iron) and then add a scrambled egg. And of course a little hot sauce! 
The Mayas have been cultivating Chaya for centuries and are still planting it in family orchards or close to the house so it's easily accessible as a food or medicine. It's a traditional remedy for diabetes, obesity, kidney stones, hemorrhoids, acne, and eye problems. Chaya shoots and leaves have been taken as a laxative, diuretic, circulation stimulant, to improve digestion, to stimulate lactation, and to harden the fingernails.
Chaya is a bushy perennial that can grow up to 20 feet (six meters) in height. I have propagated it by just putting a branch in the ground, which is the best and easiest way to grow Chaya. I know I was supposed to plant a tree for that plane trip across the Gulf but I think this is better as studies have shown that higher yields of greens could be obtained with Chaya than any other vegetable they had studied.
Here they are in the little okra and squash garden that I started last month. Actually I planted many different kinds of seeds (well the ones that Customs did not take from my children when they entered this country….little seed smugglers...ha!) and these are the only ones that grew.
Chaya is a bushy perennial that can grow up to 20 feet (six meters) in height. I have propagated it by just putting a branch in the ground, which is the best and easiest way to grow Chaya. I know I was supposed to plant a tree for that plane trip across the Gulf but I think this is better as studies have shown that higher yields of greens could be obtained with Chaya than any other vegetable they had studied.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment