Sunday, July 10, 2011

Leaving Utah early

I was planning on staying in Utah for the week and helping "Map" some ancient sites...however circumstances took me in another direction. The morning of the scheduled departure further into the desert, the Van began pouring oil from the Oil filter(luckily I saw it after backing up a few feet). After removing it and screwing it back on, the leak was stopped but I did not have the confidence that it was not a faulty thread or whatever and could happen again. The closest Auto parts store open on a Sunday was Moab, 100 miles away. We were headed another 10 miles into a remote area, with no cell phone reception....my intuition told me I shouldn't do it...that I should go get a new oil filter. The team went on without me and said I should come back and meet them using GPS coordinates. But my GPS had quit working and well I just didn't think it was a good idea for me to be in the middle of the desert with no communication having never been there before. Soooo....to make a long story short...I decided to leave the 102 degree desert for some high country in Colorado Mountains!! Stay tuned!!
I took the scenic road from Moab along the Green River.

No comments: